Yield: Makes about 24 meringue kisses
- 2 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°F. and butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with salt and vanilla until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, and beat until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- Drop heaping teaspoons (not measuring spoons) of meringue about 1 inch apart onto baking sheet and bake in middle of oven for about 2 hours, until meringues are hard. Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven overnight or until oven has completely cooled. Meringue kisses may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature 5 days.