Yield: 4 servings
Time: 10 minutes
This is a lovely winter salad, combining sour and sweet with the refreshing bite of grapefruit. There are two presentations – one is family style in a salad bowl, the other is portioned on a platter.
- 2 pink or red grapefruits
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 small head radicchio, halved and cored
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the top and bottom off one of the grapefruits. Stand it up on a cut side and, using a small sharp knife, slice off the peel and pith, following the curve of the fruit. Save the peels (there should be some red fruit clinging to the pith). Repeat with the other grapefruit. Slice both grapefruits into quarter-inch-thick rounds and arrange on a platter. Evenly sprinkle the dates on top. If serving family style in a large bowl, cut away grapefruit sections and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the grapefruit peel into a small bowl. You should have about a tablespoon. If there is less, squeeze some from one of the grapefruit slices. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt; let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the radicchio and add to a bowl. Add the shallot and grapefruit juice and toss to combine. Toss in 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- If serving family style in a large bowl, add grapefruit and dates to the bowl and toss.
- Sprinkle grapefruit slices with salt and drizzle with the remaining oil. Place a mound of the radicchio in the middle of the grapefruit, leaving a border of the fruit exposed. Sprinkle with pistachios and black pepper and serve immediately.