Yield: 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes
This can turn a cauliflower doubter in a true believer.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons panko, or bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a large ovenproof skillet over low heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. When it has melted, add bread crumbs and toss until toasted and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer crumbs to a plate and wipe out pan.
- Return pan to medium heat and toast almonds; set aside.
- Wipe out pan and return to medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and cauliflower slices. Sauté until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer pan to oven and roast until tender, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and add raisins, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water. Simmer until raisins are plump and soft, about 5 minutes; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine almonds, capers, raisins, parsley, tarragon and chives. Season with salt and pepper and toss to mix.
- Arrange roasted cauliflower on a serving platter. Spoon almond-herb mixture evenly on top and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs. Serve immediately.