I love pickles, especially fresh pickles. These are quick to make, and don’t require any canning (ergo must be kept in the fridge). I’ll serve them with pulled pork, add them to grilled cheese, or eat them straight out of the jar.
Note: I always pickle in a larger quantity than this, starting with maybe 10 cucumbers, but only doubling the quantity of liquids.
- 3 unpeeled small pickling cucumbers
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice cucumbers and onion.
- Layer cucumbers and onions in a sterilized jar; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat vinegars, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, and celery seeds over medium heat, stirring just until sugar dissolves. Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onions in jar and set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate for several days before serving.