Yield: 8 servings
Time: 1 hour
So good. If Beluga lentils are not available, French green lentils may be substituted.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (leek greens, 2 thyme sprigs, 3 parsley stems, bay leaf, 6 black peppercorns tied up in cheesecloth)
- 2 cups beluga lentils
- 6 to 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (or to taste) Tomato Pepper Harissa
- 1/2 cup (or to taste) Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan over low heat, cook the olive oil, carrots, onion and garlic until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the bouquet garni, lentils and 6 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer on low until the lentils are soft, 35 to 45 minutes. Check the soup periodically, adding additional chicken broth if necessary. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Check for seasoning and correct if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into a soup plate or bowl, add a spoonful of harissa, a dollop of Greek yogurt and some cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Pairs well with…
- uses Tomato Pepper Harissa or Basic Harissa
Source: Los Angeles Times, September 26, 2007