Yield: 8 servings
Time: Approximately 1.5 hour
Also known as Guisado de Chile Verde. Green Chile Stew is my favorite way to enjoy New Mexican Hatch Green Chiles. Serve with flour tortillas or tortilla chips on the side (for crumbling or dipping).
- 2 T oil, olive or canola
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 T ground cumin
- 3 cups crushed / diced tomatoes (1 28 oz can)
- 1 t dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups roasted (seeded & peeled) chopped green chile (varied amounts may be used)
- 1 lb potatoes, dice in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 3 lb roasted chicken, torn into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, and continue to sauté until softened and lightly browned. Add cumin, stir until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, and dried oregano. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, green chiles, diced potatoes, and chicken to the pot. Simmer at low heat for 1 hour. Add salt to taste.
- Serve warm (optionally with flour tortillas)