Easy, delicious, and easily adapted to be vegetarian by swapping tofu for chicken.
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c fontina cheese, diced small
- 1/2 c black Greek olives, pitted and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons green olives in brine, pitted and finely diced (or substitute capers)
- 1 red or yellow sweet bell pepper, core and seeds removed, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons sour cucumber pickles, preferably cornichons, finely diced
- 1 whole cooked breast of chicken, skinned and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cook rice and then cool. (I tend to use a rice cooker and then let cool. It’s easy. However, Marcella Hazan suggests boiling 2 cups of water, then adding rice, and adjusting heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain rice, rinse in cold water, and drain once more.)
- Combine mustard, vinegar, and olive oil, blending well with a fork.
- Add rice to a serving bowl, toss with seasonings. Add all other ingredients, toss thoroughly, incorporating components. Taste and correct for seasoning. Serve at cool room temperature.