Yield: 4 servings
Time: 45 minutes
Fabulous, serve with the best bread you can find.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground chili powder or cayenne, more to taste
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lemon, more to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using an immersion (or regular blender or a food processor), purée the soup.
- Stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted lightly with chili powder if desired.