Yield: one 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf
A universally loved bread.
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Adjust the rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the walnuts.
- Combine the banana, eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; add to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Slice thinly to serve.