Yield: 1 x 9″round
Time: about 3 hours
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115℉)
- 4 1/2 t, or 2 envelopes, dry yeast
- 1 T sugar
- 5 cups bread flour
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 T salt
- Mix water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour. Cover and let stand 1 hour, at room temperature.
- Mix in oil, rosemary, and salt to yeast mixture. Mix in enough remaining flour to form soft sough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if dough is sticky, about 8 minutes.
- Oil large bowl. Add dough and turn to coat. Cover and let rise in warm draft free area until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat over to 400℉. Using knife, cut X in top of loaf (optionally, you can cut the loaf in half for two smaller rounds). Bake until brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 40 minutes.
instead of an x, carve an initial on top