Yield: 1 8-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ loaf or 3 mini loaves
Very good, well-balanced flavors.
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. Put the dates, walnuts, baking soda, salt, and shortening in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over and stir. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes. Using a fork, beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Add the flours and stir (the dough will be too still to mix well at this point). Add the date mixture and mix briskly until the batter is well blended. Spoon into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a straw comes out clean when inserted into the center. Remove and cool on a rack.