Yield: 2 x 7″ loaves
Delicious. This recipe can be easily halved to make just one round loaf. One other thing: if your mixing bowl is large enough, you can kneed the dough in bowl.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled margarine or butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk both flours, sugar, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend. Add margarine and cut in until margarine is reduced to pea-size pieces. Add buttermilk; stir until shaggy dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead until dough comes together, about 10 turns. Shape dough into 2 7-inch round. Place dough on prepared baking sheet. Cut large X, 1/2 inch deep, in top of dough.
- Bake bread for 30 minutes
- Turn down oven temperature to 400 F, and bake another 20 minutes, until deep brown and bottom sounds hollow when firmly tapped. Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.