Grilled artichokes are a revelation. If for whatever reason you can’t or don’t want to grill artichokes, you can steam them in 1/2 inch water for 45 minutes.
- 6 globe artichokes
- 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Green Garlic Dip
- 3/4 cup minced green garlic, white and light green parts only
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure olive oil
- Squeeze juice from 1 lemon into large bowl filled with water.
- Remove the stems from the artichokes, leaving about 1 inch at the base. Snap off outer 2 rows of leaves, and cut off top 1/3 of the artichokes. Quarter or half artichokes lengthwise. Using a small knife, cut out the choke and prickly small leaves. Place artichokes in lemon water.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Drain artichokes, add to pot, and boil until crisp tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to rack to cool. (Up to this point, you can do-ahead)
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Whisk olive oil and juice from other lemon, making lemon vinaigrette. Brush artichokes with vinaigrette. Grill until tender and lightly charred in spots, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes. Transfer to platter, drizzle with some of the remaining vinaigrette.
Prepare Green Garlic Dip
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup of water and the green garlic to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Strain the garlic, and let cool.
- In a blender, puree the egg, vinegars, and cooled green garlic on medium-high. With the blender running, add the oils in a slow, steady stream to emulsify. Season with salt. Place the artichokes in individual bowls, season with salt and serve with some of the dip.