Lettuce soup! Who would have thought? Delicious.
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock (or veggie)
- 2 heads lettuce, including ribs (reserve a few of the tops for a garnish)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- optional garnish: curly tops of lettuce (cut into ribbons), chopped bacon, half & half or cream, small croutons
- variation: add potatoes
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Add stock and roughly chopped lettuce and peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until lettuce is very soft. Add cumin.
- Using an immersion blender, puree mixture until very smooth. Season with pepper and salt (to taste).
- Serve hot or cold!