Yield: 4 servings
This is a great salad. The beets and the blood oranges represent the best of the late winter vegetables.
- 4 medium beets, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 blood oranges, peel and white pith removed, oranges thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Wrap beets in foil, enclosing completely. Roast beets until tender when pierced with skewer, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool beets. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Whisk olive oil, Sherry wine vinegar and walnut oil in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place mixed baby greens in large bowl. Arrange blood orange slices, finely chopped red onion and beets atop. Drizzle dressing over salad. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and serve.