I like this salad. It’s both simple and delicious; and all of the ingredients are able to speak honestly for themselves. And because kale is sturdy by nature, the salad fares decently for lunch the next day.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 1 pound), center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- Place currants in small bowl; add to it 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of boiling water. Let soak 20 minutes. Drain currants.
- Whisk together remaining 2T balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, olive oil and salt. Using your hands, toss with chopped kale and let rest/marinate for 20 minutes (your hands will also massage the kale which softens it). Add currants, toasted pinenuts, and parmesan shavings. Salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is derived from one found in Bon Appetit, February 2009.