Delicious and seasonally appropriate in winter. Perfect for dipping bread.
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hour
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lbs yellow sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4-5 T chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed
- 1/2 lb smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 6 green onions for garnish
- sour cream or greek yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed pot. Add onion, cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook another minute or two. Add the broth and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and pureed chipotles, cook for 30-45 minutes, until potatoes soft.
- Using immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Add grated cheese.
- Add cream/milk or stock/water if soup seems to thick.
- Serve hot, garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream/green yogurt.