Yield: Serves 6-8
Time: 20 minutes
Allow about 15 minutes to let the yogurt strain.
- 16 ounces plain yogurt (nonfat is fine; whole is better)
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- Lemon juice and/or zest to taste
- Place the yogurt in a fine strainer over a bowl and allow to drain at least 15 minutes and up to several hours. Discard the liquid.
- Finely mince the garlic, then sprinkle it with salt. Using the flat side of the blade, press and slide the knife over the mixture, mashing it until it becomes a paste.
- Combine the yogurt with the garlic paste, cucumber and more salt to taste. Season with lemon juice and/or zest and serve.