Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Time: 1.5 hours (15 minutes active)
This salsa comes together quickly (and can be made two days ahead).
- 1 pound tomatillos (about 6 large), papery husks removed, rinsed
- 1/2 large onion, cut into thirds
- 2 serrano chiles, halved, seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- sugar to taste
- Soak tomatillos in water for 15 minutes. Remove husk, core, and cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss first 5 ingredients in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Roast in oven until tomatillos and onion are very soft, about 1 hour. Transfer contents of baking dish to processor and add cilantro. Puree until almost smooth. Add sugar as needed. Transfer salsa to bowl. Chill or serve at room temperature.
- Note: Mix with sour cream for a vegetable dip, or add to chicken soup and garnish with strips of fried tortillas.